Saturday, December 23, 2017

OLD HABITS

I'm sitting in bed, exhausted. Work felt more like work and less like money tonight, even though we weren't really busy. And yet I'm left with the confusing compulsion to write–no, to blog. 



I'm sitting in bed, exhausted. Work felt more like work and less like money tonight, even though we weren't really busy. And yet I'm left with the confusing compulsion to write–no, to blog. 

It's been a strange relationship with this blog in 2017. Almost non-existent. I blogged a grand total of eight times. Still better than nothing, I tell myself. And it certainly is, though to be completely honest I reached a point where writing was only for assignments. 

So... if anyone actually reads my blog from a screen across the ocean, you're probably wondering what I've even been up to. Besides perpetually invested in a new TV show (at the moment it's Dexter–some things never change). 

- I went to China. I would love to write a bit about it on this blog–the little memories, maybe. I did write twenty-four blog posts over the course of the semester/trip, though, if you want to read it. It's here. I guess blogging so much on a different platform has refreshed me, yet given me a habit of frequent writing. 
- Speaking of blogging, I started a food blog with Sam. It's one of our ways of justifying the amount of money we spend on food. Another way is a conversation that often goes like this:
"Hey, think about it–people our age usually spend this much on pingas."
"Yeah, exactly! Our parents should be grateful."
- I'm currently reading 'We Need to Talk About Kevin' by Lionel Shriver. I bought it today and it's incredibly written so far. I rewatched the film when I was on the flight to/from China (can't remember now) and it is haunting. I was probably too young when I first watched it–too obsessed with Criminal Minds to be anything less than disappointed that there was barely any real massacre. But I understand that it's not about that now. And the film gave me a fear of being human. I hope the book does the same.
- I got published for the first time! Well, my first publishing that was paid. It took three months of work to get 'Stitches' to the page but I wouldn't change a thing. It's about being Indian and Australian and coming to terms with where the two identities intersect. I think I would like to write more about the subject. A few people messaged me asking to read it and I sent them pictures, and they replied with more questions I feel I should write about. If you'd like to read 'Stitches', it's in the latest issue of Voiceworks (#110, I believe). 
- I'm counting down the days to my New Zealand trip with Sam–48 today. I'll try to write on the trip because I don't want to forget anything, especially 'odds on' dares. The other day Sam suggested one should be, "Odds on going to a real fish 'n chip shop and saying FUSH and CHUPS." 

That's all I can think of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment